For many men, having good sexual health is a priority. They put in a lot of effort to keep their bodies fit and in shape, and they eat foods that are rich in essential vitamins and minerals that help boost their sexual functions.
Do you know what L arginine is? It is an amino acid that aids in the body’s production of proteins. It naturally exists in certain foods, and can also be obtained from dietary supplements. In recent years, it has been found to offer various health benefits, including improving one’s sexual health. If you are concerned about your performance in the bedroom, you should probably take a closer look at it.
How is L arginine beneficial to your health?
Many scientific researches have been conducted to examine the health benefits that L arginine can offer the human body, and they have found that this amino acid can help in the following:
High blood pressure
High blood pressure is a widespread medical condition in which your blood exerts so much force against your artery walls and can eventually lead to heart disease and other health problems. Also called hypertension, it usually does not trigger signs and symptoms, and remain undetected for many years.
There are various risk factors that can put you in greater danger of high blood pressure than others. They include:
- Age – Older people tend to have a greater risk of high blood pressure. Men and women who are in their 60s are likely to develop this condition than people who are in their 20s or 30s.
- Family history – Those with a history of high blood pressure in the family, maybe a parent, an uncle or aunt, or a grandparent, have higher odds of having it than someone who does not.
- Race – Various studies have found that high blood pressure is more common in people with African heritage. In addition to that, they have noticed that the disease strikes them at an earlier age in comparison to the other races.
- Obesity – If you are packing too much fat in the body, you will need more blood to transport enough oxygen and nutrients to your bodily tissues. The increase in the volume of the blood being circulated and passing through your blood vessels causes an increase in the pressure that your artery walls are subjected to.
- Sedentary lifestyle – Not exercising or not being physically active causes your heart rate to rise. Because your heart rate is high, your heart is forced to work harder to pump blood, resulting to stronger pressure pushing against your artery walls.
With more L arginine in the body, you can lower your blood pressure, and protect your heart and blood vessels.
Angina is a medical condition in which you experience chest pain as a result of a decrease in blood flow to your heart. If you have it, you will feel some tightness, heaviness, squeezing, or pressure in your chest, as if a huge rock has been placed on your chest.
Common warning signs of angina include:
- Pain in your chest
- Pain in your back, neck, shoulder, jaw, or arms
- Shortness of breath
If you have high levels of L arginine in your body, these angina symptoms can be minimized or relieved, and you can live a better quality of life.
Diabetes is a health problem in which your body’s blood sugar or glucose levels go over the normal range. It has two types — type 1 and type 2 — and triggers several signs and symptoms, such as:
- Sudden weight loss
- Increased thirst
- Extreme hunger
- Slow rate of healing wounds, cuts, sores, etc.
- Frequent skin infections, gum infections, and others
- Blurred vision
Certain studies found that L arginine can act as an antioxidant that can reduce the damage in diabetes patients. They also noticed that higher L arginine levels facilitate the formation of pancreatic cells, resulting to a boost in the body’s insulin levels and decrease in glucose levels.
Can L arginine help boost your sexual health?
Not only can L arginine help protect you from the dangers of high blood pressure, angina, and diabetes, it can also improve your sexual health, and give you many fun and pleasurable moments in the bedroom. It is especially known to be useful in treating erectile dysfunction.
Millions of men around the world are living unhappy sex lives due to erectile dysfunction. If you are unable to get an erection or keep an erection after some sexual stimulation, you are probably suffering from this condition.
There are many things that can cause erectile dysfunction. Some examples are:
- High cholesterol levels in the body
- High blood glucose or sugar levels in the body
- Using certain types of prescription medications
- Abuse of cigarettes, tobacco, or alcohol
- Injuries to the spinal cord or pelvic area
- Prostate cancer surgery or treatment
- Stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues
According to studies, L arginine can increase the body’s nitric oxide production, helping the muscles around the penis relax and allow better blood flow to the penis.
Where can you get L arginine?
For your L arginine needs, you should eat more of the following natural and organic L arginine-rich foods:
A popular healthy protein source, chicken also contains L arginine, which can help improve your penile performance and overall health. For every chicken breast that you eat, you can get 9 grams of L arginine.
Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins, turkey is also an excellent source of L arginine. If you eat one turkey breast for dinner, you can get 16 grams of L arginine.
A good source of zinc and iron, pumpkin seeds are also rich in L arginine, with one cup containing about 7 grams of the amino acid.